Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Trip Update

Blogging? I ain't been doing no stupid blogging!
Finally! I got some time to write something, and I have to say it has been so long, I barely know how to put my fingers on the keys of the keyboard, let alone put words together in to phrases, sentences and paragraphs. You don't use it... You lose it, I guess.

Many of you know that I have been away from home for a while. No, I did not run away (although in my youth I thought of it... wanted to go and see the world), I have been on a "World Tour" promoting "Growing Up Doughnut."

To some the term "World Tour" conjures up far away, exotic places; meeting with thousands of throngs of people who clamor and hang on my every word. Well, that is exactly what I did. And for good measure, I added a "reunion" to the title. So, I went on the "Growing Up Doughnut Reunion World Tour."

I went to exotic places like Pittsfield, IL; Champaign, IL; Paxton, Loda, Hoopeston, Cheneyville, and Griggsville, IL. I spoke to Women's Groups, Reading Clubs, Libraries; just about anyone that would listen to me about my pride and joy from the depths of my psyche--Growing Up Doughnut. I went to out of the way places in Iowa and Missouri. And saw my old house in Hoopeston, the sweet corn canning factories, the Sweet Corn Festival and learned of the crowning of the National Sweetcorn Sweetheart, Brittany Hagan of Indiana, the second most beautiful girl in all of America. ( I say this because her chances are good that she will be Miss America like 5 other contestants. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Sweetheart )

The real orders of the trip, though, was to sell the book, sign the book, talk about the book, and reconnect with old friends; some who I had not seen in 30 years. I met up with Roger Beatty (who is in the book) and learned that he is now called "The Stink Ditch Guy" because of our escapades in the book. I also saw my good friend Don Smith from Carterville, and the Drollinger girls who came from West Lafayette and Georgia. Harold Simpson treated me to a Diet Coke at his Dairy Queen on Main Street, while Molly Culbert opened her shop "Flowers and Gifts by Molly" for a book signing. In Paxton, Andy Hudson let me have a table to greet friends and sell books in his store, "Hudson Drug and Hallmark Store". And Jane Addams Bookshop gave me a great deal of help promoting the book to folks in Champaign. Anne Dill of WCIA-TV and Dave Bennett and Jennifer Ketchmark of WCFN-TV put my story on the morning and evening, and I found two old friends in Wendy Doan-Mingee-Davis and John Green working there.

My family back in Illinois helped by lodging me: pseudo children Ryan and Elizabeth Carlson not only put up with me, but also saved the trip by letting me borrown Elizabeth's car. My former partner-in-crime, Jim Flaherty, gave me a bed and beer, while his lovely wife, Pam, fixed food for me (something she rarely does for Jim, according to him.) My real cousin Joan entertained me and my nephew and niece, Nick and Erin with a meal, and stayed up way past her bedtime to catch me up on the 30 years we have missed with each other. Despite having knee problems, Linda Martin let me crash on her couch on a stormy night in the Sweetcorn Capital of the World.

One of the greatest things happened to me when I was speaking at the Hoopeston Library on Sunday, though. (Thanks here to Linda Mitchell) While I was speaking about the book, two women entered from a side door and approached me at the podium. They just stood there and did not say a word. I was flabbergasted...who were these women that they would block the public's view of an important figure like me? As I stared at them, the age on their faces dripped away revealing two lovely ladies whom I had not seen in 20 years. There before me were my cousins from Chicago, Vera, and Suzie! Their grandfather was the man I owed my name to! I almost broke out in tears.

Overall, the trip was fantastic, and I have more stories to tell. Watch on Friday for a story about my brother, Sheldon!

Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment