Sunday, October 3, 2010

Trust

Ever had "one of those days?"

I had one the other day. Seems Google was hacked and my email was sending out messages to people. Scarey. I don't know what else the hackers got about me, but I will be watching my financial accounts like a hawk.

But, along with that came a new epiphany. I have a very diligent bank in Meridian Bank here in AZ. Within minutes of their reception of an email from me about being locked out of my account, they called me to see if I had sent them an email. They assured me they did not send anything and helped me reset my password and ID. Small town community banks are like that---they watch over their customers and care just a little more.

When we moved to AA 2.5 years ago, we looked for a bank that would treat us like Farmer's Merchants Bank in Paxton did. We wanted someone that would know us when we walked in the door and would call us by name. We got that. When we deal with people at the bank, we feel we are dealing with friends, not some major corporation that is cold and insensitive.

That, I think, is the key to good customer relations. Treat people like their friends and you want them to return. Be kind, gentle, understanding, and willing to go out of the way to help. The more I am treated this way, the more I want to return. I always felt that way with Shields Automart in Paxton, that is why I bought about 20 cars from them over the years. That is how I find my doctor. If I can trust the person to let me know the facts quickly and up front, then I am more likely to feel comfortable with that proctology exam.

For instance... I went to my urologist for a small problem and he suggested a cytoscopy. (I will leave you to look up the details.) When he came into the exam room, I asked him, "What kind of grade did you get in this procedure?" His answer? "Grade? I just now looked over the manual on how to use the instrument!" I like a Dr. with a sense of humor! ( I think he was joking....)

Anyway, when it comes down to trusting people, it is kind of like picking your nose.... You can pick your friends, You can pick your nose... But you can't pick your friend's nose.

Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment