Friday, October 9, 2009

Advice to the Social Network People

My Facebook account has quite a few “Friends,“ most are former students. I do have a few from my high school days, or those from college, but most of my group is from students I had while at Paxton, then PBL High School. I use the program to see what the kids are up to, how their lives are changing and how they are maturing. I really enjoy it, and keeps me up to date.

But all the picture posting has me wondering what my friends and I would have done with all this technology when we were teens. I mean, now, kids don’t seem to have any issues that are not private. They go out on the town, get drunk, their friends take their pictures, and these end up on any of the social networking pages or YOU TUBE. Nothing is sacred anymore.
Kids have no sense of pride for either themselves, or their parents. Girls don’t find it embarrassing to get their picture taken kissing other girls; nor do they blush at finding themselves in various stages of undress. They need to stop and think WWMPT (What Would My Parents Think?) Also, if they would not appear before their parents and put a double lip lock on their best girl friend, it probably should not happen for future employers to see.


Same with guys. If they would not appear falling down drunk in front of the ‘Rents, then they probably should think twice about posing for that picture of them upside down on a keg at an underage party.

We did some unusual things, I’m sure. But what we did not do, is brag about it to the ENTIRE globe! We did not immediately call someone and show them the picture phone picture of us surfing down Main Street on top of a car. The lack of technology actually saved many of us from embarrassment and allowed us to continue on to college without our parents or the school knowing what we were up to. If we took pictures, we had to go to the local drug store to send them in. This stopped us from taking those provocative pictures because we knew that Mabel at the store would call Mom and Dad and let them know the pictures were in!

My advice to people who take and post pictures from parties, or dates, or private moments is this….DON’T. Especially if you don’t want your parents and friends to know how stupid you really are. Take a step back just before you pose or snap that lens and think…WWMPT?

Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment