Sunday, October 25, 2009

My Lot in Life

It is a beautiful, sunny day in Arizona. Really, this place could be the one stop on my journey that is eternal. I think most Shields' that have pursue Horace Greeley's advice have gone through here. Some went on up into the mountains of Oregon, others went back home to the Midwest. The Valley of the Sun, though, seems to be perfect for me and mine.

I wanted to go out west in the early 70s. I made a stop in Roswell, New Mexico at a broadcasting school there, but had to return to Illinois when my mom became sick. And there I remained for about 40 years. I got married, had kids, a career, but I never lost my hankering for the Great Southwest. When Dorothy's mother moved out here for a while, we visited on occasion. Now, it seems we were conducting scouting missions to see if it was the right place. Our missions took many years before we had the guts to make the move permanent.

But here we are. And I have, in the past, raved about the weather and the people. I wanted everyone to know what I had here, hoping to have them move out, or at least visit. But now, I take it all back.

Arizona is a vile place full of scorpions, snakes and heat. It sucks the life out of a person and leaves them to be covered up by one of the holes in the desert. There is unemployment, poverty, crime, and lawlessness. We have a sherriff who thinks that he must "clean up this town" and constantly arrests politicians and investigates those that do not agree with him. Our schools are in shambles and cannot meet federal guidelines and the homeless situation is out of control. During the summer, we boil every day and get no respite at night in this island of heat and concrete. In winter, we have shortened days and cool temps that barely reach 80 during the day and sometimes freeze our pipes at night. Those palm trees swaying in the breeze lull us into thinking we are living in Paradise as they undulate gently in rhythm of the valley.

I have made my bed. This is why I came here. I must suffer here so my readers and those in the cold frozen North can be warned against this place. They must not move here; they must not visit for their own good. Once here, the temptation will be too great to stay and soak in this din of iniquity.

It is my lot in life to warn you. Stay at home in winter in front of the fire, safe from this so-called "Valley of the Sun."

Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment