Friday, August 27, 2010

Gettin' Ready To Be Trippin'

In case you have not looked at my profile for a while, I am old. I only say this because I find that as I get older, I don't travel as well. I don't like going to the airport, getting on a plane, and winging my way across the US. I don't like landing, merging in the hustle and bustle of deplaning. The very idea of standing next to people and scrambling to get my luggage makes me fearsome. I have learned to not like crowds.

That being said, I am embarking on a three week trip to Illinois to promote my book, "Growing Up Doughnut." I love talking to people, finding out their stories and reconnecting with friends, but there is something about being away from home that bothers me; I can't put my finger on it.

There is always the chance that I might miss my wife. NAAAAH! How could that be? For two-three weeks, there will be no one to make me eat right, pick up my clothes or whisper sweet nothings in my ear. I will be free! I will go where I want, when I want. Eat what I want, drink what I want. I will be the ultimate bachelor...footloose and fancy free.

Right! If you have not seen my itinerary, you don't know that almost every waking hour is spent on the road or speaking to people. I even get to be on TV (I sure hope that it DOESN'T add 10 lbs), although I have the face for radio. And there will be radio appearances, too. I am going back for two weeks, and will have almost no time for friends that I have not seen in 3 years or more. Is this what celebrities go through? I am sure the paparazzi will be out there, waiting for me show up someplace without underwear on, or to see if I spill spaghetti sauce on myself, or to find me driving drunk!

They are in for a surprise. The most they might get in pictures is me with drool running down my chin as I sleep on a friend's couch. There also might be the occasional doughnut icing on the corners of my moustache and the ketchup on my shirt. But really, I am no where near wild anymore. I mean, when I go out to eat, I drink iced tea because soft drinks make me gassy.

"My Two Hometowns" are great places filled with great people. And, despite my aforementioned fears of travel, I am looking forward to being back, even for a short time. I wish I had more time so I could visit with everyone I miss. So, if I don't get to see you, Just know that I miss you, especially when you're gone.

Look for me in Hoopeston and Paxton and Champaign next week... Here is my schedule:

September 1………….. Paxton Women’s Club 11 AM (Tin Pan)
Loda Library 1pm
September 2 …………..WCIA interview (Approx 7:10AM)
Speak to Jr. English Class Centennial HS (9AM)
WCFN interview (Approx 7:40PM)
September 3……………WHPO Interview (7:30AM)
WPXN Interview (1pm)
Jane Addams Bookshop (Champaign) 5-7
September 4……………Hudson’s Drug Shop @ 9-11AM
Molly Culbert’s (Hoopeston) @ 3-5PM
September 5……………Hoopeston Library @ 2PM
September 7……………Speak to English classes at PBLHS all day

You can also follow my trip on twitter @Donutwriter

No comments:

Post a Comment