Tuesday, May 4, 2010

BE THE BALL!

Yesterday, I went golfing for the first time this year. Not a pretty sight, I must say. Two things happened as Jim, my son, and I went along our merry way on the golf course. (1) We saw the whole course and (2) I was able to hold my temper.

The second is more important than the first, because I have not been able to do that in the past. I have been known to throw around a couple of deleted-expletives when a shot goes errant or a putt does not go down. Sometimes people would mistake me for an old time drunken sailor. ( I say "old time" because our modern Navy is trying to redo its image as a kinder, gentler navy that allows females on submarines...) The new me, however, is taking it all in stride realizing that my golf skills are not as good as Tiger's, but my personal life is much better. I have restrictions on my abilities: an arm that won't work right, and the inability to concentrate while outdoors where the flora and the fauna constantly inundate me with beauty. Yesterday, the sky was so blue, I did not want to pollute it with my ball. The grass was so green, I did not want to take that ever-so-slight skinning one should take when hitting an iron. I enjoyed the company of my son, even though we did not say much on the deep life issues, but rather talked of the mundane "what is wrong with my shot" type of conversations. I do have to admit though, he did give me some advice that really hit the spot.

One time I hit a ball that went almost 45 degrees to the tee to the left. ( I am a left hand golfer, so it was a really bad slice.) and he said to me, "Slow down, you're trying to do things too fast." When I hit the ball following his instructions, it went straight. It was then I realized he was right, I was trying too hard and doing things too fast. I needed to slow down.

How, you ask, can an old retired guy do things too fast? Simple, I get impatient. We all do. But I vowed to follow his advice more and take it down a notch.

Once I did that, then (2) holding my temper, was a natural. By the end of the round, I played horribly, but I was not stressed as I usually am. And, it took a tie breaking putt competition for him to win the last hole.

Mark Twain said that golf, "...is nothing more than a good walk spoiled." I didn't walk yesterday, and my day was not spoiled. My day was exactly what it should have been...enjoyable and relaxing.

Be the Ball....

Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment