Monday, July 12, 2010

My Wife Helps Me Be Wiser

Yesterday was my wife's .....birthday. I would put a number in there, but she might not appreciate it. I don't know why, she is more beautiful and younger looking now than when we married 35 years ago. I thought I would take this opportunity to lecture my other "sons" about their wives. I know, I should probably save this for the anniversary day, but it is on my mind now, and in my feeble condition, I might forget....What was I talking about?....Oh, Yeah...

One of my "sons" (Ryan) celebrated he and Elizabeth's first anniversary yesterday. These two are so cute together. (Yes, I said cute.) They still have that honeymoon attitude about them as they look into each other's eyes and hang each other's words. Ryan, make sure it stays that way. Over the years, I have found that I rarely win an argument, even when I am right. Occasionally Dorothy will tell me I am right, but I don't hold my breath waiting. This is just something you have to get used to. She will come around to your way of thinking in bits and pieces, but more than anything, you know when you are right, and you don't have to rub her nose it.

When I look at you two, I see Dorothy and I when we were young. I still look at her that way, I still try and touch her leg, or her arm whenever she says something that makes me chuckle. I still hang on her every word and love to watch her walk away. Don't lose that. As long as you look at her as not only your wife, but your best friend (sometimes your only one) your relationship will constantly renew itself as you discover different corners of your shared personality.

Justin, I don't know your new betrothed. This is something to be rectified. But, I can see through your pictures of her that she is fun loving and witty. She has a look on her face that tells me that she can't do without you. A love built on passion, excitement and adventure is one that will find all those in the smallest experiences. You, too, have found a best friend. When the physical stuff subsides, you need someone that can match you in brains. Believe me, Dorothy has all that. I remember the line from Forrest Gump, "I am not a very smart man, Jenny, but I do know what love is..."

Finally, boys, this bit of advice goes to both of you. Always remember, "What is hers is hers and what is yours is hers."

Dorothy may have gotten a year older, but I look at it this way... for 6 weeks, I get the experience of an older woman. If that is not exciting, look up what Ben Franklin had to say about older women....

Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment