Friday, July 2, 2010

Think of Friends this July 4

Friendships often fade with distance, but true friends pick up where they left off. That is the way with many of my friends when we get back together after years of separation. That is the way it was last week when my good friend, and editor, Susie Dayton, showed up on my patio.
Luckily for her I heard her voice before I tore off my shorts to get in the pool!

I entrusted Sus to edit my book "Growing Up Doughnut" (available at Amazon.com) because she was my friend, and because I knew she would do a good job. How did I know this even though we had not seen each other in over 40 years? We had talked on Facebook and on the phone a number of times and we kept acquainted, but we never got together. She had not changed, she was still silly, bright, and had that great sense of humor. Friends rarely disappoint us when we ask them to do something, and Susie did not disappoint when it came to the task for which she volunteered.

Others have stepped up also with advice and services as I struggle to get the book into mainstream bookstores. Scott Baer has helped make an audio interview for me that will soon be on this blog; Dr. Bill Gholson gave me guidance and direction and kept me on track; Andy Hudson, a former student, has agreed to carry the book in his drugstore; and Ursula (Roncevich) Baker, another former student, is helping with advice and footwork on marketing. Finally, all you former students from Paxton, Buckley, Loda, Roberts, Thawville, Clarence, and Morning Sun have bought the book. My hometown peeps of Hoopeston have responded with their purchases and have reaped praise upon me and the book.

Through the book, I have talked to friends from long ago and found them all to be successful whether they might be a Sgt. Major in the Marines, a doctor in Chicago, or a housewife in Hoopeston. They have all done what they wanted and are happy. That is all that I could want for them. That is what my book is about...friendship, growing, loving, losing, and remembering.

As we head into the 4th of July weekend, take a moment to stop and look around you. Look at what you have and what you had. You are in your life exactly where you are supposed to be, surrounded by the people that are supposed to be there.

This weekend, raise a glass to those you have known, and to those you will know; to those you knew and are gone and to those you don't know but are giving their all. When you watch those fireworks, and see that flag unfurled, I hope you get a tear in your eye and a lump in throat.

I always do.

Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment