Sunday, February 14, 2010

Still the One!

If you would allow me to expound on my valentine.....

I have been married to my wonderful wife for 35 years this August. We were together another 2 years before that, so I guess we have been together a total of 37 years, or roughly 67 percent of our lives. How has she stood me?

I mean, she has been wonderful, and I, at times, have not been. I definitely won the lottery with this one. If you read my upcoming book, "Growing Up Doughnut" (which, by the way, is in the editing faze) you will find that women have played a big part in my life. I dated several girls who were all wonderful people and who I remember with great fondness. None of them, however, was as wonderful as the girl who swept me off my feet with her long hair, gorgeous smile, and sense of humor.

I can still remember the night I fell for her. I had gone back to Eureka College to beg the administration to let me in for a third time. After a successful meeting and promise that I would stay until I graduated, I went to a party on campus and there I saw this fantastic looking brunette who had hair past her waist. I asked her if she would like to "...go on a slow ride on a fast motorcyle...." (Pretty smooth, you think?) And we went for a ride around Lake Eureka on my 750 Honda.

The next day at breakfast I told her boyfriend that if he did not treat her right, I would come back and take her away. Come July, I got a scented letter in the mail from her, and we were on! Phone calls all summer, trips to Chicago, and two weeks alone without other students at the beginning of the year sealed the deal. I guess you could say I stole her!

I am constantly in love, still. She is all I think about when we are away from each other, and I can't wait to see her at the end of the day when she comes home from work. We still linger when we kiss, and no one hugs like she does.

Happy Valentine's Day, My darling!

Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment