Monday, March 1, 2010

Time to open an AMAZON account!

Last week was a red letter week for me.

I am going to be a published author! I mean, more than this blog. I am actually going to get my book Growing Up Doughnut published! Authorhouse out of Bloomington, IN is going to publish it for me. I am now part of the growing trend of INDIE publishers. That is not to say that I am from Indiana, or that the publisher is in Indiana (Which it is) but rather that I am an independent publisher.

The story revolves around me as a kid through 12th grade. Now, this is not memoiry tell all. ( I just invented that word, memoiry) It is what my friend, Dr. Bill Gholson, calls creative non-fiction. I take some facts, inject some embellishment, and VOILLE! a story. (my French is not too good, so please excuse the misspelling if there is one)

I have all sorts of characters in the book, most of them my friends. But.... I have changed their names to protect their identities; for the most part. Those that I told about the book and asked if I could use their names and they said yes, well, they are there for posterity. Others whom I did not contact, have their names changed, but they may recognize themselves.

It is the typical growing up story...lots of hearbreaks, pratfalls, and misstakes. I borrow some stories from my brother's life ( mine was not as good as his) and I embellish some stories (Steak and Shake founder visits Do-nut Shop; George Halas drops by on his way to Chicago.) But, all in all, it is a good-natured look at myself and others who shaped my life (ie: teachers and coaches) I have not had a bad life and my friends were not bad friends, so there is no negativity allowed.

That is not to say that there have not been sad times, there have been. And I have tried to recall them also. Hoopeston, IL was a great place to grow up, and I love the town. I cover some historical stuff, but only as it needs to be .

Think of this as Garrison Keillor's Lake Wobegon on sedatives. You will smile at it, sometimes laugh outloud at it, and you will also cringe at some of the things that happen.

But nobody gets a body shot or will be embarassed by their part in my life.

I want to give a shout out to my peeps that have been helping me with this:

Susie Dayton in Reno, NV helped me by editing the book. Susie is a great catch, and someone out there should be hiring this woman. Talk about skills! She has really helped the book along here.

Scott Baer from here in Phoenix. Scott is giving me some of the pictures for the book that he took circa 1970 when he was in high school at HHS.

Tim Cerka from here in Phoenix. Like most of the Phoenix areas he is an out of work Graphic designer who designed a preliminary book cover for me. We are still seeing if Authorhouse can use it.

My brother, Jim in New Salem, IL. He is supplying pictures of our family "back in the day" He, too, shared the "Doughnut" nondeplume.

Dave Theobald in Bloomington, IL. Dave has written a book, also, and he helped by sending stories and ideas.

Connie Dobkins from California. She is another Hoopestonite who has written four books. She helped me scout out publishers and gave me advice.

Finally, my wife, Dorothy. This lady has allowed me to take a year off and make an attempt at being creative. I know that she loves me and that has made her hold her tongue many times. She has already read the book, and has pronounced it "A BEST SELLER" (just a hint to the critics out there....

The book should be out in late spring or early summer... take me to the beach!

OPRAH! You need to read this book!

Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment