Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Aftermath

Robert Frost, in his poem, MENDING WALL wrote, "Good fences make good neighbors."

Good Sunday Morning! I hope that all of your Fourth of July celebrations were excellent, and that you gained an extra ounce of patriotism yesterday, along with a couple of pounds from eating burgers and dogs, and drinking your favorite beverage.

Fireworks are fun to watch, but I wonder why we utilize such a device that is used in war to distract the enemy or to light up the battlefield to celebrate? We fire dynamite into the sky, explode it, and watch the colors and feel the sensation of the explosion. We seem to be looking for the thrill of war without the actual involvement. Who doesn't feel a leap in their heart when an explosion occurs and the beautiful colors and shapes amaze and astound us as we say, "OOOOOOO" almost as a reflex? Ironically, many of the people firing off the fireworks, probably have a distaste for the Chinese people.

My neighbor, just behind my wall, shot off some pretty big fireworks last night. We live in the middle of town, mind you, and there is an ordinance and a few state laws against such displays. The fireworks were loud, close to my house,and they scared my dog. I was a little peeved, especially when I went to close the gate to my sideyard, and a bottle rocket fell from the sky and landed in front of me. Luckily, it was the one that just exploded, before it fell, not one that might have gone astray and exploded in my yard. I picked up the empty and put it on the wall. And told him that I was going to get my garden hose ready, just in case. Secretly, I hoped he did hit my house so I could own his, too.

But, my neighbor did not burn my house down, and my dog is gradually coming out from under the bed. By next year, he will be chasing his blunt tail again. (My dog, not my neighbor....)

Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment