Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Life is Good

My parents were both born in 1911, before airplanes, before computers, before dial telephones. When they died (Dad in 1968, Mom in 1986), they had seen a number technological advancements. Their world changed rapidly, and they were able to keep up as best they could. But today’s world is changing so fast that keeping up could be a full time job in itself.

Take for instance, television. Back in June, all the television stations were forced to go digital by the government. Nothing was wrong with the old analog signals, but the feds thought that we all needed clearer pictures. “Back in the day” we had one TV in the house, and a rotor on our antenna that turned to capture the signal of one of the three stations we received on the dial. The pictures were black and white, lacked some contrast, but they sufficed. Now, it seems, I have to be able to see an athletic contest in a picture so crisp it “is like I am there.” Heck, I can even pause the game, or record it and watch it later. I wonder, if I tried to hit pause when my wife is talking to me, could I get what she says later?

Computers go out of date faster than they are produced, cell phones are antiques before I dial my first number, and cars are outdated before I get them paid for. (Not really on the car, I usually keep a car only about two years.) When will technology slow down and allow us to take a breath?

My dad loved beer. He would have at least one a day. Sometimes, he would save up and have a lot of them at once. I wonder what he would say about the newest beer technology, the refrigerator keg? This baby from Miller keeps beer cold in the frig in a mini keg and carbonated for thirty days! What a technological marvel. Now I can have tap beer in my house, or at a party. That, my friends, is an advancement. As a civilization have now made great strides in entertaining. No more going to the liquor store, buying a full keg, a tapper, and some ice. Now we can get this little darling home under our arm, and put it to good use the moment we get there with the handy dandy tapper it comes with!

Now, if I could figure out to get a technological advancement that would allow the Cubs to win a World Series.

Life is good!

Doughnut.

No comments:

Post a Comment