Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Late For Appointment? You Could Pay For It!

After working on the houses the past week, I now know why Jesus was a carpenter, Michaelango was a painter and Beethoven a musician. All these people had a great deal of time spent in solitude where they heard nothing but the sound of their own voice. Especially Beethoven.

My inner self and I discussed many different topics over the course of the repairs, painting, electrifying and pounding. There were two that kept rising to the surface as I took time to go to therapy. (Physical, although I could probably use the mental and emotional cleansing.) One was the younger generation and its OCD on themselves, the other was the idea that professionals seem to think they should charge me if I do not show up or am late for an appointment.

It is the latter which we will pick on today.

The irking idea that doctors, therapists, lawyers, plumbers, and many other professionals now have signs that say they "...could charge you if you do not cancel an appointment 24 hours in advance" is one that all of us should rise up against and protest!

What these people are saying is, "My time is more important than yours." I have seen signs in doctor's offices that say, "If you have been waiting 20 minutes past your appointment, please notify the desk." Twenty minutes PAST my appointment? If that is the case, why did I make an appointment? Or, my favorite, a assistant calls your name and takes you into an exam room, sits you down without any of their three month old magazines, or a clock and proceeds to tell you to disrobe, and "The doctor will be with you shortly." So, you wait, sans clothes, in a gown that is open at the back, for an indeterminate amount of time, for this god-like creature to open the door and come see you for 5-7 minutes.

I understand that emergencies come up. But, surely someone could come tell me, instead of leaving me there with my Shields hanging out of the gown. If the doctor was not going to see me at my appointed time, why require me to make an appointment at all? A little civility goes a long way. How many times have you sat in that room, looked at all the posters of the human body and wondered where your pain is at and tried to diagnose yourself?

Me pay for not showing up on time or at all? They should be paying me, then, if they are late. I saw an ad the other day on the television for a plumber that promised to be on time, or the call is free. Now, there is a concept. Why do I have to stay at home and be there between 12-4? Why can't the people tell me they will be there at 2? If they are going to be late, call. I love the plumber's idea. I applaud it! Imagine what would happen to the medical industry if it would make the same promise. "We will see you on time, or your treatment is free!" Talk about a medical miracle!

Ever called the Cable TV guy? They will usually give you a four hour window instead of a certain time...what a concept...being on time. These companies overwork their people, when they could be putting on more help and spurring the economy. They expect me to pay my bill on time. What would happen if I sent them a notice that said, "The bill for these services will be paid sometime within the next four months, and the owner of the company must be present to sign for it when the bill gets there."

From now on, when you go to the doctor, hand the receptionist a card that says, "The doctor will see me on time, or I may not pay for this visit."

To make our time worth something, we must stand up and make it worth something. If you want to comment on this article, I could read your comment between Monday and Friday...

Doughnut.

No comments:

Post a Comment