Thursday, August 13, 2009

Rainy Days Let Me Down

I guess I really should not complain about the weather. After all, this is about the third day this summer out here in Arizona that there has been rain. Up until today, we have had nothing but sunshine and hot temps, and I have gotten a nice farmer's tan playing golf.

But today, of all days, it rains. And not just in patches, but all over the desert state! The sand box is wet and it smells. I could go out and bask in the heavenly goodness that is water, but I am going to go to a movie with my bro instead.

We planned today to go to the Grand Canyon, as in Grand Canyon State. The weather at the big ditch up north was a balmy fifty-five degrees at seven this morning, but was going to warm up to a wet sixty-five. The four and a half hour drive up there was to be done in rainy, blustery conditions also, so we decided to stay home and go to a movie of his choice. He is going home to the humid climate that is Illinois on Saturday, and we wanted to do some sightseeing outside of the Valley of the Sun. So much for the best laid plans.

While he was here, we did go to a Diamondbacks game at "The Chase." We fulfilled my summer destiny of never seeing the 'Backs win. I have gone to four games this summer, and they have lost all of them miserably. I guess with their record, that is really not saying much as they tend to lose a great many this year. But the day at the park is always better than working, and being with my big brother (although I am now the bigger of the two) is fun.

I feel bad that he won't get to go to the GC this trip. It is a great vista with some breathtaking views. The quiet there is astounding. And when one stops to try to listen to the tourons (tourists who are acting like morons) the sound of their voices are baffled by the expanse of the canyon.

The next trip he makes we are going to there first. All else will seem small, even me.

Doughnut

ps..Some of you know I have been working on a book about growing up in Hoopeston. I should be ready for a publisher by October. If anyone knows of a good one, contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment