Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Wish

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope you have had a wonderful day filled with joy and laughter and family. This has been a good day for us, but we also have had an unusual day.

My kids came over early today and we opened a few presents and had breakfast together. Jim went to work around 11, but Debi did not have to go in as she had planned. She and I went to the new Sherlock Holmes movie while Mom spent the afternoon basking in the sun. Later, Dorothy's brother Jim is coming over with some friends and then we will have an informal meal of Sloppy Joes and potato salad. We will open some more presents when Jim gets off work, and then they will stay the night before returning to Prescott tomorrow. Not our usual Christmas Day.

Last night, Dorothy and I went to candlelight service at North Hills Church where we attend. The service started off in an unusual way. Instead of the old standby carols, we sang "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" and a few other secular standards before getting to the more religious standards. By the time we got to these, everyone was in a singing mood, and the place resounded with joy. When we came home, Dorothy and I got into the hot tub, and watched the stars and wondered about their placement in the universe. All in all a fantastic evening.

My wife gave me a wonderful gift this year---a new Bible. I have long lost track of the Bible I had as a youth, and the one I had in college for religion classes. This was the best gift I received. it is not just a Bible, but it also has a study guide and historical notes, and helps with ways I can apply the message into my daily life.

Next up is New Year's. The time we make resolutions (do we ever keep them?) and get a new beginning. I know that Debi and I are going to get her another doberman that day so Akkadian can have a friend. And I am also promising myself that by the end of the year, I will be a mere shadow of this year's doughnut. Which means I may have to give up doughnuts!

One thing I would ask of you for the coming year... Make an effort to have every day be a Christmas day. Wear the joy and tranquility you feel today on your sleeve and put a smile on your face and Peace in your heart.

Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment