Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Holiday Preparations

I usually start my ramblings with a weather report that is somewhat a kick in the teeth to my friends in the Midwest who follow my blog. I let them know, in no-uncertain-terms, that I live in a vertible paradise where snow and wind and rain does not exist and everything is comfy cosy and I eat fruit from my orange trees and get cottage cheese and dairy from the cottage cheese plant we grow in the opulent backyard. Today, however, is different!

Today, it is cold here! While the rest of you dig out, I had to put on the heat for an hour here. It was almost 31 degrees when I woke up this morning; and when we went to the hot tub last night, there was frost on the top. Seems I am destined to be cold in the winter.

Scrooge McShields seems to live in my house, so the neighbors say. We do not put up outside decorations, despite the fact that most of our neighbors do. We have a simple tree that stands in the front window and is lit in the evenings for all to see. That is about it. No ostentatious displays, just a simple celebration of the season, unlike our area which seems to be blowup Christmas decoration heaven. Everyone has at least one, maybe two blowups on their lawns or their houses. One house about a mile from us, has so many decorations on it, they open their lawn at night so people can go out into their backyard and see all they have. During the day, it looks like a perpetual garage sale. But if their display helps them "Peace on Earth, Goodwill towards men" then so be it. We each find celebration in our own way.

In the next few episodes of the Doughnut Hole 503, we will take a look at Christmas celebrations and stories. If you would like to share one of your stories with me. feel free to send your story to coachn3@gmail.com I will read each one and hopefully be able to answer any questions you might have, or at least share your stories with the world.

Until then, stay warm and bundle up out there.

Doughnut

ps... Our family suffered a loss last week with the death of Colonel Jim Sawyer, USMC (retired). Jim was the brother-in-law to my Dorothy's Aunt Dorothy. She and Jim were the last two Oldies of our family, leaving only Aunt Dorothy as the elder of the family. Our prayers go out to Jim's immediate family. Go to a better rest, old soldier.

No comments:

Post a Comment