Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Feeling of Christmas Every Day

Today was a great day! I am really in the holiday spirit. This is the second Christmas without snow, but I don't seem to miss it at all. There is something about sitting by the pool with a holiday eggnogg in my shorts that just helps me with peace, goodwill towards men. We have established new Christmas traditions out here, and the family is settling in.

One thing the kids (I say this because they are my children, but they are 28 and 30) have done that I am pretty proud of is that they are working on Christmas day so those with families do not have to. They both have jobs that require someone to be on duty, so they have taken it on themselves to work for those who have kids, or want to be at home. What a great gift to co-workers, and shows a bit of selflessness.

I have been doing some research about Christmas and how people spend it. Fifty percent of all people in this survey say they will spend the day at home with family. Twenty-five percent say they will be with their parents. Three percent of the people will spend it with in-laws, and five percent will be with friends. But on a sad note, seven percent will be alone or on the streets.

Can you feel the anticipation and the love during this next few weeks? It permeates the air and fills everyone with hope and joy. People walk down the street with smiles on their faces and say hello to perfect strangers. It is wonderful to feel this way, but disturbing when we wonder why we feel this way now, but not the rest of the year? Why now do we extend greetings. compassion, and hope for peace to our fellow man, yet during the rest of the year, we are oblivious to the problems we see.

This year, I will make a valiant effort to treat others better and to see the love and joy that is offered me. I hope you can feel the spirit of Christmas in all your days, also. Look for that star every night, that child of hope in everyone and let your heart be filled with joy each day.

Felice Navidad.

Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment