Tuesday, April 6, 2010

AZ Capital Museum a Hidden Treasure

Maybe it is my age, but I like old things. Old cars, Old TVs, Old rocks, especially when they are associated with a museum.

I had the privilege yesterday of going down to the Arizona Capital Museum and volunteering to be a guide or an ambassador a couple days a week. I have time on my hands since I seem to be unemployable for money, so I may as well do something that interests me. And museums always interest me. I love to walk through and read all the cards and displays and discover happenings I did not know about. Since I moved to Arizona just a couple years ago, the Capital Museum gives me an opportunity to constantly discover history.

The museum is in the old State Capital Building which sets between the modern House of Representatives and the Senate in part of the capital complex in downtown Phoenix near 1700 W. Washington. It is a constant reminder to the senators and representatives of the state of the rich heritage and struggle that the Arizona Territory had in becoming the 48th state.

From the giant doors, to the halls of the old chambers of the legislature, to the copper dome, this museum, though tiny, abounds with the history of the Grand Canyon State. The exhibits range from parts of the USS Arizona which was sunk at Pearl Harbor, to arifacts from the first state veterinary officer, to efforts on conservation. One can even enter the chambers and sit at desk used in the old legislature with name of the person who occupied the desk emblazoned on it.

There are many stories to be read and heard from the guides and ambassadors that are in the museum, and they offer up tidbits that aren't very well known. Because as we all know, behind every story, there is the "rest of the story" (Paul Harvey did his radio show from here in Phoenix.)

The famous Harvey Girls, the origins of the SRP, a flag that went up San Juan Hill, dinnerware from the Arizona, the Merci Train exhibit are all fascinating reminders of the history of this young state.

With help from Jason and Luke at the museum, I hope to turn into a decent docent.

Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment