Friday, April 16, 2010

A Great Day All Around

Thursday was a red letter day in Phoenix and in my short life as author.

First, yesterday was the first day that the temperature hit 90 this year. I would not have believed that, but then again, I spent the majority of the day in the Arizona Capitol Museum as an ambassador. That is a fancy name for running the information desk. Things were not too busy, and I answered most questions with aplomb and veracity. This means I was jovial and confident and only gave one statement which was false. I didn't lie to people, I just got my information wrong. I was quickly corrected and learned a lesson that I have trouble grasping, unlike most 5th graders here in AZ. Am I smarter than a 5th grader? Not when it comes to the state seal of Arizona.

Apparently most students by the 5th grade know that the state seal contains the 5 symbols of what makes Arizona tick. Try as I will, I have trouble recalling them at will. I guess I have to write them down on my hand or something... Cotton, Citrus, Copper, Cattle, and Climate. (I actually struggled writing this as I was trying to remember Climate. I usually insert the standby Commerce when I have a brain fart like that.) But still, the day was fantastic as I met people from Canada, Eastern Europe, Germany, Hawaii, Utah, and Michigan. One woman was surprised when she held up a Flat Stanley, and I asked HIM how his trip was! Then, as any good ambassador does, I gave her ideas for picture shoots with Stanley.

On the outside of the museum, "the heat was hot and the ground was dry and the air was full of sound." to paraphrase America. But, when I got off my shift, I put on my cowboy hat (Yes, I now have a full fledged cowboy hat. It is brown and looks like Gene Autry's, the Singing Cowboy.), dropped the top on the convertible, and rode my steed home.

Which brings me to the second good thing.

I received an email from Authorhouse, the publisher of my book, "Growing Up Doughnut," with the ideas for pricing and the news that the book will be available in e-book format. That means that all that money you spent on a Kindle or a Nook, or an IPad will not go to waste. You will be able to download the book soon in that format for around 10 dollars. I will let you know when.

Just for a teaser... I am going to give you a peek at the working cover....

It may be too small to see clearly, but that is me on the front with my mom circa 1956!

Have a great day. And may all your doughnutholes be small!
Doughnut

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're liking the Capitol gig-let. Mom okay with it yet?
    Lyrics are from America ("Horse With No Name') not The Doors.
    Love the book cover! Am I gonna have to leap into the 21st century and get a Kindle? Or can I stay old school and carry the paperback?

    ReplyDelete