Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Be Lazy

I am back at work again after a weekend away from the blog. Batteries recharged, brain cleared, and carpal tunnel slowed down. Ready to hit it again and get after that writing process and renew motivation towards getting the book done. Yeah, right…

I have become increasingly lazy. Retirement does that, I understand. If that is the case, then I retired about 40 years ago! When I was sixteen, I was full of vip, vim, and vinegar. Quite a go getter who held down a couple jobs at time. Now, I’m lucky to remember to do one thing a day. I’m slipping, and I am looking for someone to blame.

First, I think I can blame my up bringing. My parents were lazy people. They worked 12-14 hours a day at their restaurant, five to six days a week, 50-51 weeks a year. Their idea of a vacation was cleaning the place on their days off. They never went on “vacation” where they drove to a Disneyland or even a Six Flags. Heck, a weekend at Steely’s Creek or a trip to Chicago to visit Aunt Helen was about as far as they got from Hoopeston. I never saw my parents in anything but work clothes. Dad always was in a v-necked t-shirt and khaki pants; Mom wore a white uniform-type dress that buttoned up the front, and white hosiery and white shoes. Seldom did they wear anything else. A big change for them might have been putting on a sweater. But they just seemed to never do anything…

My brother was the same way. He never worked very hard, it seemed. After all, coaching and teaching and raising a family is no work at all. He worked during the summer and in the spring at a farm, and in different stores, and for the city shoveling poo, but I did not really see him “do” anything. He must have been lazy.

But the real person I blame for my laziness is the President. I have never seen him do anything. I saw Ron Reagan chop wood, LBJ herd cattle, Even JFK steered a boat. But Obama is rarely seen doing anything, he must be lazy. His example of sitting around, talking about things and trying to get things done really sets a bad example for everyone. I mean, really, running the military, setting goals and trying to convince others to make changes they do not like, raising kids, and all the time having to sit and listen to the naysayers and people who had so much time to make change, but did not, call you names… that is enough to make anyone lazy and want to give up. He needs to do something. Work his brawn, not his brain so much.

That must be the problem with me...I think too much.

I do nothing. I have recently observed that my life is one big situation comedy. And if you look at comedy, you often find there are people who seem to do nothing and appear lazy. They sit and observe, then make one line comments that provoke a laugh track. That is what my life is like. I love comedies because they make me laugh, and they prove their point by making me look inside myself and find that little sliver that enlightens me and trips the trigger that shows me life as it is.
And it makes me laugh at myself and others.

I need to do something. I don't mow anymore, my lawn is now rocks. I don't wash my cars, we have a car wash on every corner here in AZ. No need to do windows, it never rains. So I am now officially lazy.

Do yourself a favor…BE LAZY each day. Take some time to sit back, and laugh.

Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment