Sunday, November 29, 2009

Getting back in the groove

Ok, so I'm a slacker. I have not written in about a week. From the last post, one would think that I might have been taken over by aliens, or maybe spirited off to places unknown to live a life in captivity. But that is not the case.



I have been slacking due a lack of energy. The Thanksgiving holidays dragged the stuffing out of me, literally. I must be the only person in America that lost 2.5 lbs on Thanksgiving week! I will spare you the details, but just leave it said that my Turkey and trimmings made no stops. My blood pressure was a woeful 91/61 and I had a little trouble standing. When I did, I could see all the stars I wanted, right there in my own head. A little disconcerting, but it gave me the reason to stay on the couch. I did not go shopping. Heaven forbid! Black Friday could really have been that had I tried.

Black Friday came and went, and my pocket book stayed green. Well, not really. I did take the time to go out with my lovely wife and buy her a Christmas present. When we lived in Illinois, our house had a hot tub on the deck. She would go out in all kinds of weather (including the dead of winter, the heat of summer, windstorms, rain, sleet, you name it she was in it) and sit for hours in the spa. She would make either my son or myself dig out snowdrifts so she could go out and sit. We left that beacon of relaxation back on that deck, so I went out and bought her a new one. She does not need the relaxation since we retired, but she did miss it, and I want her to be happy.


With the season of the year turning to gift giving, we all need to stop and think about doing things for people. Not just buying gifts, but making them happy. On ThanksGIVNG day, we went to North Hills Church here in Phoenix and celebrated by helping to serve lunch to the homeless and the indigent. What an experience that was! We were able to brighten the day for a few people who had little or nothing. Getting a smile off a small child or a person that was down on their luck really made me feel good. I was able to forget my struggles for a while and focus on others.

As we head into the next month and the coming years, we should remember what we are truly blessed with and pass on to others the gifts of joy we feel. A smile, a laugh, a used coat, a cup of coffee all help others to live their lives just a bit better, if not for only one day.

Look to tomorrow with a light heart, for there true happiness lies.


Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment