Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Pickle Ball

I am so excited that I can hardly contain myself today. The National Pickleball Tournament is starting this week in Sun City! People from all over the US are coming here to participate in this little known sport and I find that I am somewhat intrigued.

Pickle Ball? It is the fastest growing lawn sport there is. People are putting aside their lawn darts and taking up this game. Old people, young people, fat people, thin people; anysize people can play. And apparently, there are professional Pickle Ball people.

For the unenlightened, pickle ball is played on a badminton court with paddles and a whiffle ball. The paddles are just a slight bit bigger than ping pong paddles, and the rules are basically the same as badminton.

I turned up my nose at this sport when it was in its infancy in 1984. But now, I find myself amazed at the deftness with which old people play it. Shuffleboard had better look out, or it will be relegated to a corner in the retirement communities while the pickle takes over. There are over 45 pickle ball courts in Arizona alone, and more are coming, especially with the stimulus package that is offered to people who want to build one in their backyard. I am sure that someplace in the great money giveaway people can sign up for pickle ball money and get at least a court and fries with it.

Personally, I have not yet played this game. I have a strained hammy, which would go good with some mayo and little pickle ball. But I am going to road trip out to Buckeye this weekend and see for myself the joy of the national tourney. I can't wait to get my souvenir T-shirt. Will it be green with an animated cucumber on it? Or maybe a slogan like, "Pickle ballers do it with relish!"?

For those of you who want to get involved and maybe get your pickle on, go to the official website of Pickle Ball www.usapa.org. There you can learn all about it!

Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment