Friday, November 20, 2009

Oprah's Out...Shields In?

I was thoroughly surprised today when I learned that the big O--Oprah-- is bowing out of her show after 25 years. I did not even realize that she had been around that long! I have always liked her and the way she talks to people. She has a way of being respectful and still able to ask the hard questions. For a girl with humble beginnings, she became the most powerful woman in entertainment, and possibly the US. President Obama definitely gained a great deal when she endorsed him.

Oprah has long championed the underdog. She looks for the best in people and is always an optimist. She has been a leader in civil rights and women's rights, and she shared her struggle with us on her weight loss. We love Oprah because she is one of us. She is an icon, but she relates and gives back.

With her leaving the talk show circuit, there comes an opening for someone else. There are plenty of women on daytime talks...Bonnie Hunt, Ellen, and Tyra all fill the void for women. Dr. Oz and The Doctors have healthcare covered. Dr. Phil helps with problems. It is time that someone filled the empty spot. What empty spot you might ask?

The Baby Boomer Generation does not have anyone. Regis can hardly fill that when he has that cute little honey next to him. I propose that CBS let Don Shields try and fill the void. I have the experience, the knowledge, the ability to talk that could bring people to the TV set during the day. I am more than willing to travel for the job and we can talk about compensation later. But think of it.... I grew up in a small town, worked all kinds of dirty jobs, went to the college of Presidents (EUREKA COLLEGE) taught school, coached many different types of sports at different levels, was a broadcaster, newswriter, author, carpenter, landscaper, housekeeper, nanny; I have bought and sold over 25 cars, eaten at a wide variety of restaurants, worn many different styles of clothes; I have black friends, white friends, friends from foreign countries; I have a long marriage with two well adjusted kids; I laugh easily, cry often, and can talk to just about anyone.

I don't have those model good looks. My head is bald, my stomach round. I am short and not a great dresser. I am not a caricature or a stereotype. But I am an Everyman. I am your kindly old uncle type who can listen, ask you questions, give you advice, be your champion, and have fun all at the same time.

So, Oprah, as you get ready to say goodbye, let's talk. Together we can keep the candle lit. I even promise to try and help Chicago get the Olympics.

Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment