Friday, January 8, 2010

New Thought

I had an epiphany of sorts the other day. Where? At a church class....About what? Vision.

No, I am not talking about being able to see. I am talking about seeing where you want to be and then finding out how to get there. Church? Shields, we never knew you were religous!

Well, I am. Have always been. But, somewhere along the way, I stopped going to church. I think I did this not because I stopped believing in God, or even doubted his existence. I stopped because the pastors had nothing knew to say. It was the same ol' message, Sunday in and Sunday out. the music was centuries old and its inspiration had worn thin. I began reading the Transcendental poets, Emerson, Thoreau, the guys that told me that God is everywhere in everything. If I just opened my eyes, I could see Him. And I did.

But lately, after retirement, I suddenly realized that there was something missing. I had all my limbs, my family was doing well, I even was doing what I wanted when I wanted. What could be missing? I was happy, but not joyous. I had no direction.

One night, as I sat and listened to Joel Osteen, it suddenly hit me. I missed church. I missed that time when I interacted with God and felt something greater than myself in my life. When I was young. I was involved in church. I sang in the choir, I attended regularly, I went to youth groups. My relationships centered around school and church. Now, school was gone, and I felt empty.

I went to church with my wife, and found that thing had changed. There was no longer just singing, there was joyous singing. Rock music had replaced the organ, people dressed in normal clothes and carrying coffee had replaced the stilted suits and ties. The minister did not stand behind a pulpit, but rather came down and TALKED to us, not lectured us. Like my ministers of old, Bernie Nord and Happy Leman, he related how the Bible was important to me now.

If the purpose of a pastor is to lead his flock and to pass on Christ's work, it made sense to me that he should emulate the Master. He should dress as simply as possible, not in spectacular robes. A shepherd is, after all, a simple man who has a daunting task of keeping his flock together and leading them to safety. I have not seen many shepherders out gathering their flock in suits and ties.

The music at church should move you, to the point where the spirit lifts itself up. It seems that when I listen, I can't help but sing and the words and tune are within me. (It does help that the words are put on a big screen. Now it is a little like karaoke.) On more than one occasion since I have returned, the words and music have brought tears to my eyes.

So, what about this epiphany? I suddenly have a vision for myself. Something that has always been there, but has laid below the surface. I want to help this church, this congregation, this pastor as well as I can. Does this mean that I cannot find laughter or humor in things? Those of you who know me, truly know me, know this is impossible.

God gave me a great laugh, a sense of humor. The ability to look at life through eyes that find life is all fun. Sometimes I think I live in a perpetual situation comedy because I always have punch lines going through my brain.

He put them there. Did you hear the one about the priest, the rabbi and the shamin....

Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment