Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Rain, Rain....

As I sit at my desk forming an opinion for the day, I notice that for the first time in two days we are having sunshine. Not an unusual occurance you say? Well, my friend, you are right under the usual circumstances. But these are unusual times...

The past two days we have had rain! I don't mean a mere spakling, I mean gully washers! We have had more rain the past two days than we did in all of September through December. It rained so much, my pool was filled to the brim and I have to turn on the drain and partially empty it. Why? We are expecting more rain tomorrow. Another 5-6 inches! I am glad I don't live in Flaggstaff, where the residents are bracing for 4-6 FEET of snow! Did I suddenly get zapped back to Illinois?

Really, though, it is a refreshing change. Finally weather forecasters get to do something out here and the drains in the street get cleaned. The sound of rain on the roof is one that I had forgotten about. Thursday, I will sit out on my patio, watch it rain. Hey! It beats watching paint dry! If it comes down hard enough, I will go out front, open the garage door, and settle in for the boat races down the gutter.

When we get mega rain out here, people go crazy. Driving in the rain is something they never do, so getting places becomes an adventure. When the gutters are full and flowing, people actually get canoes and kayaks, and go down the curb line in them. (I wonder if there are blow up dolls that they can put out celebrating the rain, like they do on every other occasion?)

The only solace I take from this rain is that I live in a desert climate, and, hopefully, this will spur some growth of the wild flowers to pretty-up the desert floor. One thing is for certain, though, this morning the air over the downtown area will be clear and not brown or green.

Doughnut

PS..Watch for another exerpt of "Growing up Doughnut" on this website soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment