Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Not so full of it anymore

Sometimes, well most times, the weather is the first thing I comment on. It is the first thing that comes to mind that is PC and everyone can identify with. Now comes a new meaning of PC...Post Colonscopy... Things are definitely different after having a full colon cleanse. I actually feel better. Maybe I am not so full of crap anymore...Yeah, Right.

I have really found that I feel a bit better since the procedure. I do have to say it was a little disconcerting to wake up and find them still on my insides, though. I was watching something out of Fantastic Voyage (the movie where people are shrunk and take a trip inside the human body.) Although the pressure that I felt because of the air that was blown up my butt was great, the pictures were out of this world...or rather, inside mine...

It reminded me of the time I had my wrist operated on and was awake. I felt this great pressure on my arm, looked up, and there was the surgeon kneeling on my arm to hold it down! He was using a Craftsman Skilltwist to tighten the screws! "Wanna watch?" He said. "Sure" I answered, and he pulled back the drape and I watched on the screen as he adjusted the gap in the hand. Another time, I got to view the video of my knee surgery. Everyone should have and take the opportunity to see what they have inside.

I think this especially applies to politicians and other leaders. They need to see that they are human and not above the rest of us. They need to be told, "...take your clothes off and lie on the table." They need live how it is to put yourself totally in the hands of someone else and trust them with your life and welfare. As a male, lying there totally naked in front of women that I had no knowledge of and trusting them to violate me carefully to see what was inside, and then waking up and not being able to leave until I pass gas was certainly self debasing. I have had former students who have become nurses catheterize me, and that is certainly uncomfortable!

If we want to go forward, then we have to trust. I certainly questioned my doctors before the procedure; I researched and read about what was going to happen. I trusted my medical team, and most of all I prayed that they were guided by a greater hand.

After 22 surgeries and many different procedures, I know that I am being watch over.

Tomorrow, an excerpt from the upcoming novel, "Growing up Doughnut."

Doughnut

No comments:

Post a Comment